
For those who know me, you know that my Grandma Freda means the world to me. She's 94, lives on her own and is feisty as ever. Over the past 31 years, we have shared many special times, from summers in Fort Lauderdale, afternoons at Coney Island and Nathan's, and my most fondest memory - letting me spike her hair into a mohawk with an ungodly amount of gel. I've always known that we've had a special connection, one that goes beyond the typical grandma/granddaughter relationship. She was truly one of my best friends growing up, and to this day, continues to be an incredible source of strength, wisdom and great stories.
It is because of this connection (and Grandma's 6th sense), I have to share a story. Normally, I speak with Grandma Freda a few times a week, usually calling her during the morning or early afternoon. On December 27th, while out for a friend's "Last Day of Work" Party, I got a voicemail from Grandma Freda at 8pm PST (11pm EST). I immediately started to freak out, thinking the worst since she never calls at night, let alone at 11pm her time. I checked my voicemail: "Hi Stephie. It's Grandma. I was lying in bed and started thinking about you and Jason, and I had to call you to tell you that I love you a million dollars." What's so incredible about this is not only was a 94 year old woman up at 11pm, but that was the day Jason and I found out we were pregnant. And Grandma Freda somehow knew it.
No comments:
Post a Comment