Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Few Words from Grammy Sandy & Poppy

Grammy Sandy....

It's going to be hard to keep this posting to just a few words, first I am  a woman of many words and second this has been an amazing 15 days.  I don't know where to begin.  

I have a new love of my life (sorry Mark) his name is Tanner Kai.  I am smitten, he has captured my heart and takes my breath away.  It's really hard to describe the feelings that I feel when I hold, kiss, or am around him.  Words cannot do this feeling justice.  I realize that  I am absolutely biased, however, he is the most beautiful child I've ever seen (sorry Stephanie and Scott.)  He has amazing blue eyes (with a hint of gray) and his mouth is heart shaped but he has wonderfully sized lips.  His head is perfectly sized and round with lovely shaped ears that are flat to his perfectly sized head.  Can't say much about his nose yet, it is pretty nondescript, next visit (January if Steph will have me.)  He has a great smile and his little giggles are just precious (the giggles are only when he sleeps, Stephanie says he is dreaming of puppies, I think it is a gas reflex.)  I can go on and on but I won't bore you all.  We hope that Stephanie, Jason, and Tanner will be coming East in March (for Grandma Freda's b-day) and hopefully there will be a stop over in CT where we can introduce him to all our peeps.

Another gift this trip offered, was being able to spend so much time with Stephanie.  We realized we have not had this much one-on-one time since she was in middle school.  I know she would agree (because she told me so) that the time we shared was incredibly special.  It's funny how mother/daughter relationships become closer and are redefined as we both get older and grow.  It is a given that Stephanie is a great daughter, but she has also been a great friend these past 15 days.  We did so many fun things together and were so in sync.   

Now a few words about my amazing son-in-law (more like a son.)  Any man that can have his mother-in-law around for 17 days and still smile and not mutter under his breath while I am in his presence, deserves a gold medal of honor.  Jason, thank you, for your patience and hospitality, I can't wait to come back soon, just kidding, I'll give you kids a breather for a while and promise I won't stay as long the next trip out.

My parting remarks, Tanner Kai is one lucky boy to have such wonderful parents as Stephanie and Jason.  They are naturals.

Tanner Kai you will be in my thoughts every day, and the kisses and feeling of your baby soft skin hopefully will sustain me till my next visit.

I love you all,
Grammy Sandy

and now Poppy...

I not  like my wife, am a man of  few words.  What they said about being a grandparent is an understatement.  You can never believe the inner feelings you experience from seeing this little thing who evolved from you.   He is everything I could have ever wanted.    Even in this short time we have accomplished so much together.  A visit to Buena Vista and a trip to Sonoma.  Most importantly, time together to bond and discuss the many things we will be doing together in the next thirty years.  Thank you  Tanner for cooperating when I finally mustered up the conviction to change your diaper this morning.  This too was an  extremely gratifying experience.  Who would have thought that I would say this.  Thanks to Steph, Sandy and Jason for letting me take care of my boy every morning since I arrive.  This too was an amazing, wonderful experience.  I could go on and on  but I am a man of few words.  Thanks to my daughter and son-in-law for giving Sandy and me this most wonderful and cherished grandson who we  will love for ever, more and more every day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you are all getting the most out of this VERY SPECIAL visit! I can still remember 30 years later the wonderful time I spent with my own mother after the birth of our son. You are all blessed!

Anonymous said...

OK.....NOW I SHALL CRY! WHAT BEAUTIFULL WORDS FROM GRAMMY SANDY AND POPPY! I TRUELY UNDERSTAND YOUR FEELINGS EXACTLY. LOVE, AUNTIE JUDI XXOO

Nicole Bongard said...

And I have to add... the relationship between you and Steph will become so much more full with Tanner in your lives. I never thought my mom would let go of me, her "little girl". Ever. Until Riley arrived. Now, finally, to my mom, I am the woman who I've become. And my baby is the new baby. Rightly so. Enjoy every moment. There are never enough moments when the grandparents are on the other coast.

One bit of advice... invest in a web cam. PRICELESS, especially for the days post one-year birthday. That face-to-face time is the most important thing you can do for little Tanner. And for the grandparents. It gives them new life!!!

xoxoxo