Friday, September 19, 2008

Frogs Make Me Tinkle

Like every new parent, Jason and I were so excited to give Tanner his first bath in the froggie tub.  We had visions of cooing and splashing, much like us when we hit the beach.  Oh hell no.  It was more like Chinese water torture.  Coos and splashes turned into blood curling crying and pissing. Yup, Tanner tinkled not once, but twice on Jason during the process.  And it wasn't while he was in the bath.  Both times was when he was holding him.  Here's the aftermath and some more pics, including a tushy one (as requested by Poppy)



I also want to clarify a few things from my last post after getting emails congratulating us as if we really had a set schedule. The last post was an example.  A snipit of one evening.  What I left out is that no day is exactly the same (except for the number of bottle feedings and diaper changes).  I also left out Tanner's newest way to spend 8-10pm - screaming, crying, beating his fists and turning beat red from the inconsolable and non-stop tantrums.  I'm not calling it the "C" word yet (moms will know the dreaded "C" word), but it may be close.  He's not a happy camper and there's nothing we can do to make it better (other than drink hard liquor).

Personally, I think that Happiest Baby crap by Dr. Karp is a load of sh*t.  We read the book and watched the video of Dr. Karp magically consoling babies with one of his 5 "S's (swaddling, shushing, side/stomach, swinging, sucking).  What I realized after having my own newborn, trying the techniques and re-watching the video is that the cut-aways of him soothing are only 5 seconds.  Yeah, I can console Tanner for 5 seconds; it's the stuff that starts at the 6th second that's impossible.  And believe me, we've tried it all.  Jason was close to putting him in the car and driving around the block for 2 hours the other night.  I've even resorted to singing.  Hmmmmm...maybe that's why he cries in the first place.

4 comments:

Cincity said...

Ahhh, memories... Sophia was pretty bad. "They" say "it" starts week two (from due date) and peaks as week 6. Old mcDonald had snakes, gerbils, lizzards...and so on while I tried singing on and on. I blew out a hair dryer, so I recommend Homedics sound spa white noise machine (sold at LNT) as a better alternative. The swaddling did work for us. TIGHT. Try "miracle blankets" for swaddling Houdini proof babies. I remember the 5 "S"s too. Some worked, others not (Sophia wasn't a sucker unless she was attached to my boob and then she could go on for hours, like FIVE, for example).

mle linkner said...

YOU NAMED YOUR BABY AFTER MATT????
WHAT????????????YOU HAD YOUR BABY?????????????? WHAT???????????
WHOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
matt told me yesterday, "yeah, i got a message from jay. sounds like they had their baby." i'm like, "SOUNDS LIKE THEY HAD THEIR BABY?>???WHAT DOES THAT MEAN??? who is he, what did they name him? when was her born?" "i dunno. sometime in august."
TYPICAL GUY. gotta love it. CONGRATULATIONS GUYS!!!!
i gotta get crackin' on monsiuerr tanner's homemade mLe pressie! TANNER. i love it. hee hee!
mama and poppa - GO!!!

Anonymous said...

Stephanie - that is what we called "the witching hour" it's rough! Try feeding him more often during that time - my pedi recommended it and it seemed to help.

Nicole Bongard said...

Hey, I've known a lot of folks who put their babies in the car just to help them to stop crying. Whatever works... but I agree, definitely swaddle TIGHT. I didn't find any pre-made swaddles to be particularly useful, since you can't really get them tight enough. Use Sarah McMoyler's swaddle technique, and you're golden.