Thursday, May 22, 2008

Day Care Wars

Warnes vs. Overpriced Day Care Establishments
Warnes vs. Every other family willing to pay for overpriced day care establishments

Either way, we can't win. I really think I should go back to school and open a day care. There's no recession in sight at these puppies; they're cash cows. So, we've already visited 4 day cares and have another 4 to go. The only thing I've realized is that it's pointless. Sheer pointless. Critter has a better shot of getting into Yale. Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

There are only a handful of good day cares in SF, and they only take 5-10 infants per year. And of those handful of day cares, 75% of them are sponsored by large companies like UCSF, the city government, Gap, etc. No shot in hell. Here's an actual conversation from the Marin Day School last week. Me: "So, on average, how many of your 9 infants are non-Gap employee children?" Director: "Well, in the two years I've been here, we've never had one non-Gap employee infant." Me: "Do you know where the Gap HR office is?" On average, day cares have a 1-1.5 year waiting list for infants. Can you believe people actually fight over paying a complete stranger $1800/month? They do. And more. They kiss ass. I've gotten so good at spotting them. They're the mothers that show up for tours dressed in perfect maternity clothes (vs. my jeans being held together with a rubber band) with the husbands in suits. They smile throughout the entire tour and ask questions like, "What's your philosophy on parenting? What type of teaching method are you using?" Then when it's time to leave, they make a b-line for the Director to personally introduce themselves and their Charles III (in utero). Me, I just go straight home and fork over another $50 for an application fee with a pleading smiley face next to my signature.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ONLY YOU GUYS KNOW WHAT IS IN YOUR HEARTS! IT MAY BE "DAY CARE WARS" OUT THERE....BUT, YOU WILL BOTH KNOW, AT THE EXACT TIME, WHAT TO DO! DON'T WORRY! YOU WILL NOW WHAT IS BEST ;.) LOVE, AUNTIE,JUDI XXOO

Cincity said...

Since you are in application mode, might as well start applying to preschools, kindergardens and elementary schools. I hear CA is pretty bad for that. Kind of need to do that as soon as your hubby has a "twinkle" in his eye. By the way, if you are still looking for a stroller, check out phil&ted's. I think they are the new hot thing. Their jogger converts into a double jogger if ever needed. Lightweight and easy to manouever. Wish I knew more about them before we got our BOB.

Nicole Bongard said...

Yeah.... take it easy with this. They can suck you dry if they can reel you in. Just get your shared nanny situation up and running, and leave it at that. They will learn all they need from you and Jay. Seriously. Look at Ri-Belle.
xoxo
n